Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wet Wipes and Gold Bond Powder

Hi, this is Arda . . .  I've been wanting to share about the "shower experience" in Haiti.  That would be Wet Wipes and Gold Bond Powder.  If you do actually get to take a shower in Haiti and the water tank is full, it's only cold water - hot water doesn't work or even exist.  We had no water this morning so I used wet wipes to wash and Gold Bond Powder to dry because of the high humidity.  We've actually gotten used to the cold showers and even enjoy them.

What also comes to my mind is how wasteful we are in America and how these Haitian people are so resourceful and creative in using what they have to create beautiful, wearable art!  I'm talking about cereal boxes, cracker boxes and other paper items that have been cut, twirled and glued together to make amazing pieces of jewelry. Please start saving these items for them because we want to support their program by sending whatever we can collect to contribute.

Shelley introduced me to Olitha today who is one of her beader artisans who is on the verge on giving up her son to an orphanage.  What a blessing to be able to purchase some of her jewelry to give her the hope she may need to keep her family together.

Every morning, a beautiful young lady named Louisna, who lives in Clairville shows up with a basket of fresh fruit from the market and boiled eggs for our team.  This week she also joined Kim in her knitting class on the outside patio.  It's always nice to see her smiling face, and she usually gives each of us a kiss.

I discovered that I have lots of mosquito bites . . . I thought they were freckles, but I found that I don't have to worry about malaria.  I'm thankful that the mosquitos are the least problematic this time of year.

Last night we went to dinner at the Clay family's and when we returned I was asked to be in charge of making the brownies for our final party.  Well . . . those who know me, know that I am NOT the cook in our family.   I had to hunt for a measuring cup and could only find a 4 C one which wouldn't work.  When I finally found something to measure a 1/4 C oil and water, I mixed and stirred and put it in cupcake pans. I lit the oven with a match and I had the choice of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for the temperature.  I chose 5 and LeAnne said to leave it in for 20 minutes.  After 10 minutes, they were burnt!!!!!  Ask the ladies the rest . . . . they promised me that "What happens in Haiti stays in Haiti" but I doubt that!

No comments:

Post a Comment